Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On 09/03/11 16:14, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I have not yet considered webmail,
although I do have it available myself But then, I have my own website.
I will have a more considered look at it. Re losing the local email, I
use IMAP so do not lose any emails. I suppose I would need to explain a
bit about that.

I have used squirrel mail myself but cannot get it to show the extra
folders into which I filter some of my emails, eg the dclug ones. I have
also looked at Roundcube and Horde. Again, I cannot see the extra
folders. This may be because I am working through my control panel. More
research needed.

Thanks

Neil

To be honest, how many of them will be using e-mail from an ISP these days?

Lots of people I know tend to use Hotmail, GMail, Yahoo Mail etc.

The problem I found with ISP mail was either they delete any messages after 30 days, delete your entire account if you've not logged in to their web interface for a few weeks (Orange I'm looking at you, when you were Freeswerve/Wanadon't) or don't provide IMAP.

Personally I have my own e-mail server for my mail but I also have a GMail account (which I rarely use, mainly I use my Google account for my Google Calendar which I do use daily).

I tend to mainly use Thunderbird when I'm home, Horde when I'm away from home or K9Mail on my Android phone (although I'm having issues with port forwarding at the moment so I'm resorting to using Horde web mail on my phone which isn't pretty).

I'd say for beginners Thunderbird is a good choice, especially since it's reasonably close to Outlook Express / Windows Mail which folks coming from Windows may be using anyway. I would suggest setting up things like Thunderbird, OpenOffice and Firefox on their Windows machines for a bit prior to making the move, that way they can get used to them and it won't be so much of a big switch.

(Probably a good idea to do that with all the apps they use unless they're available for Linux)

Rob