Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:01:34AM +0000, tom wrote:
> I do agree that the guilty should go free rather than jail the
> innocents. Its just the current setup is very much on the 'we cant
> deal with it all so we wont bother with any of it'. And it seems the
> people with the power to make simple but effective changes are
> either badly advised or have vested interests.

I was amused by some of the recent shenanigans with Liechenstein that only
came to light when a DVD (CD) of data was sold to the German Tax
Authorities

> Traceability should be on the jurisdiction level - if you dont let
> us potentially look we wont let you move money. That still leaves
> the cash loophole but no company is going to expect its employees to
> move millions in suitcases and arrive at the correct destination,
> and in reality a restriction like that would not affect any
> legitimate trading, just move it onto traceable routes. It would
> just make it harder for dodgy dealing.

The US do this: if you want to trade with us then you must provide details
as required. It works with countries such as the Caymans. They also tried
it with Switzerland but that went less well and presumably not at all well
with Cuba or China.

Where this also fails is eg the Hawala trade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala
This can be faster and cheaper than the banks

> As for who makes real wealth - the city, the black market or little
> people - thatâs another question.

Yup, as is "what is effective regulation"

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.