Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On 02/03/11 18:33, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> Not sure about the lack of legal system where he
> is based though. If I paid a handful of people to perform this kind of
> scam from my livingroom, using some Skype-like technology, and make
> sure we'd only target people abroad, would it be easy for me to be
> caught?

Yes. You'd be Skyping out, so paying Skype (probably traceable), the IP
address is traceable. The real question is not could you be caught but
would anyone bother.

> What worried me about the apparent call centre he was calling from
> wasn't so much the size of them scam, but the professionalism. I
> always thought this was for the work-from-home types.

Organised crime can be scary. There is a huge outfit in West Africa
behind a huge proportion of 418, pet charity, fake hotel job ID theft,
spoof banking sites, type scams around. Hard to know how coherent it is,
or whether it has just become part of the culture. We just dump traffic
from all countries in and around Guinea Bissau as we find which ISPs
they are using, the small amount of genuine stuff is swamped by the
crooks. Failed states run by drug barons, as because there is no oil,
and no real money involved (they don't con big financiers often) nothing
will happen until it becomes a more substantive problem for westerners.
Probably when they switch to piracy on the high seas, or something else
that bothers people with real power and influence.

Of course is you proxied your scams through compromised computers in
West Africa people would assume you are in or around Guinea Bissau and
assume you are "untouchable" and give up.