Re: [LUG] Comical phone call. MS vs Linux & Malware.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> Yes. You'd be Skyping out, so paying Skype (probably traceable), the IP
> address is traceable. The real question is not could you be caught but
> would anyone bother.

Well, I would. And I should, given that I tend to tell people it's
important to report such scams. In theory. In practise, I'd have to
report that I received a call today at 11am from an unknown
('international') number. The law enforement agency involved would
then have to contact BT, who would then have to contact Skype (after
confirming that the call was made through Skype), who would then have
to check their IP logs, who would then have to find out if/how it
would be tracable to a human being. Which is quite likely not going to
work. Which just proves your point.

(It's probably a lot easier to find the people behind this by starting
with those who have fallen real victim to the scam.)

Re: organised crime, there has been some significant progress made in
working with law enforcement in countries like Russia and China. I am
optimistic that this will eventually happen in Africa too.

Martijn.