Re: [LUG] OT: Fibre to the cabinet

On 23/02/11 18:55, Andrew Pearce wrote:
Update on my FTTC connection well so far, both good and bad.

The extra speed is nice when it works... more on that in a moment.
The downside to FTTC is that if you are on one of the smaller FTTC
cabinets there is a major issue with speed. The speed I get from bt's
speedtest website (the only on one you can use for BT to realise theres
a fault) vary from under 1 meg up to 37.8. Having reported this to
entanet several times, I kept getting no fault found from BT.
Luckily on monday night, I got a very very slow speed test, promptly
reported to entanet, escalated to BT. Finally I have a phone call from
BT saying there is a configuration issue on all of the mini cabinets
they have deployed around several parts of cornwall and northern ireland.
This dslam update is being beta tested on a few dslams in northern
ireland also on the greenbottom dslam (cabinet about 1.5 miles from
here).

If anyone on the list is looking at getting FTTC, it may be worth
waiting for BT to fix these speed issues.

Andrew

Interesting, not too bad when it's working okay. I've personally just upgraded my Virgin Broadband from 20 Meg to 50 Meg, speed wise it's got great download speeds (generally around 45 Meg) but poor upload speeds at 0.5 Meg when it should be 1.75 Meg. I've got one of the Virgin 'Super Hubs' which appears to be the issue (I won't get started on port forwarding being broken).

I'm watching SamKnows.com to see what is happening on my local exchange, sadly it's a small exchange so I think it'll be a while before there are any viable and reasonable cost alternatives to Virgin (best we can get from BT is about 7 Meg, or up to 20 Meg if we go to Talktalk).

Rob