Re: [LUG] OT: Fibre to the cabinet

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, James Kilty wrote:

Dear Andrew and all

Thanks a lot.

http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html tells me

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2011. Our test also
indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an
estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line
speed of 500Kbps and upstream line speed of 100Kbps.

It is a hundred yards away.

Woo hoo :)

I'd expect you to get something in the mid 30's then (mega bits per
second)

Gordon - I guesstimated ADSL2 - if it's 24Mbps hopefully it might get me
something stable that is rather more than the 2Mbps I am getting now.

It's unlikely - you will see much increase, but you're in the region where the difference between 8M and 24M technologies is negligible. You can improve things (if you've not already done so) ... Disconnect all phone extensions and Fit a new fateplace filter. Connect the modem/router directly into it without going through any extensions. If you are connecting up extensions, wire them to the back of the faceplate on the filtered terminals and only connect 2 wires to pins 2 & 5...

Demon
say 20Mbps is the max but that's presumably down the wire.

It's hard to get over 20Mb/sec, but I have seen it - it's also possible they they impose a cap too.

Does this mean BT
has a monopoly for the fibre to the cabinet and I have to register with them?
Or entanet? Or someone else? I thought BT provided the equipment and the ISP
paid a "rent".

BT have several arms. The one we're most intersted in is BT Wholesale. Broadly speaking, they provide the network between your house and where it is handed off to the ISP.

BT Retail is just one of many ISPs who can handle the data at this point,
but not all ISPs can handle ADSL2+ (up to 24Mb) It's these ISPs who can
handle the FTTC connections too. So BT retail is (obviously) one, the
others include Entanet (via a reseller), Zen, Plusnet, AAISP, Vivacity,
ADSL24, and a whole host of others - best to check them to see if they
support it.

Really not sure if Demon supports it yet.

Pricings are in a bit of a flux right now too - Enta are quoting a new install (even if you already have an install as it needs a BT man to come on-site), and want customers to take their Business 45 package (£25.95 a month +VAT). The install requires a BT OpenReach person coming into your premises to fit the modem. You do not (at this stage) have a choice of modems. You can then use a router with an Ethernet WAN port to talk to the modem - one that supports PPPoE.

AIUI, What BT are trying to do is not let the LLU operators supply their own Fibre, but instead offer them a dedicated path from he cabinet back to their equipment in the exchange - so it's almost true LLU, apart from the bit of BT cabling between the cabinet and the exchange... (Or this may be an ocom ruling, I'm not sure)

However, BT effectively rent the connection to other ISPs, but they can pass data through their own network to the blobal Internet rather than it going through the other BT arm - BT retail who run their own ISP.

Gordon