Re: [LUG] PayPal alternatives

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 05:07:09PM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> The services in the paypal arena typically are offering slightly more,
> such as handling diverse cards, providing guarantees to purchasers,
> handling refunds, handling currency transactions. For which it is
> entirely reasonable that they are compensated appropriately.
>
> I believe with bank transfers if you put wrong, but working, details in
> you are basically stuffed and the money has gone.
>
> I don't have a problem paying a significant %age on small transactions
> for a sensible recurring transaction mechanism, where the provider
> provides customers with confidence that they can cancel the service, or
> get a proportionate refund, etc.

The *faster* payments work on the principal that the IBAN you enter is
correct. I am not aware of any system that allows cross bank checking of
IBANs (IBAN = International Bank Account Number - basically roughly
equivalent to account number and sort code)

I agree what is irritating is that the banks ask you to put a name and
account number but then ignore the name. (May be understandable if you
misspell the name and get the payment rejected eg Smith | Smythe)

The money has gone: but the recipient is obliged to return it unless they
spent it unknowingly. Speed here is therefore of essence: to communicate to
your bank to get them to contact the other bank and get the money returned.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.