Re: [LUG] PayPal alternatives

On 12/01/11 15:54, Henry Bremridge wrote:

> Electronic transfers through the "faster payments service" is free from
> some banks. In a quick google, Bank of Scotland charge 45p. Co-op is free,
> HSBC is free. Northern Rock I think is also free

NatWest is free also.

The services in the paypal arena typically are offering slightly more,
such as handling diverse cards, providing guarantees to purchasers,
handling refunds, handling currency transactions. For which it is
entirely reasonable that they are compensated appropriately.

I believe with bank transfers if you put wrong, but working, details in
you are basically stuffed and the money has gone.

I don't have a problem paying a significant %age on small transactions
for a sensible recurring transaction mechanism, where the provider
provides customers with confidence that they can cancel the service, or
get a proportionate refund, etc.