Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On 20/12/10 15:28, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:15:10 +0000
tom wrote:

On 20/12/10 12:22, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, tom wrote:

On 20/12/10 11:50, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

So how is it that I can create a FAT32 filesystem without hassle
under most Linux systems?  In order to play MP3s or watch DVDs I
have to jump
through hoops, but I seem to be able to create Microsoft-owned
filesystems without having to jump through any hoops or pay
anybody any
money.
AIUI - FATxxx is so "open" and widely adopted that it's patents
aren't that enforcable, but what MS does keep a tight grip on is
the extended filename mechanism that's an extension to FAT.. So
if you're happy with uppercase 8+3 filenames, then feel free, but
if you want nice mixed case long filenames then pay MS...

Of-course IANAL ...

Google for Tom Tom Fat and save on heating with the boiling blood
of righteous indignation this winter.
I remember it well - and my understanding is that it was the
long-filename extensions that they were penalised for..

But maybe I need to read it again.

Gordon

And do you know of anyone that would be happy with 8+3 on a USB - the
irony being that Tom Tom could probably have modified their
requirements so the Tom Tom would work with 8+3 and avoided any
requirement to pay MS. But they obviously worked out it was cheaper
to pay MS than expect their programmers to be able to remember/cope
with it/somehow backdate all those ones already sold with fat32 on
out there. Could you cope with using a FAT disk to write to?
Tom te tom te tom
Is it possible to get mkfs.vfat to create a FAT32 filesystem but
without the long filename support?  I couldn't find the relevant
options in the man page.  Or is "long filename support" an inherent
attribute of FAT32 (whereas it wasn't for earlier FATs)?

Grant.

It probably is - the long file name support was just hidden file with the alternate names. Assuming you can get an unformatted drive in the first place...
Tom te tom te tom