Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:43:47 +0000
tom wrote:

> On 20/12/10 09:34, Grant Sewell wrote:

> > > Ext2 FSD is an open source Linux ext2/ext3 file system driver for
> > > Windows systems. Being open source and actively developed is a
> > > good thing. Making it more desirable than ext2 IFS
> > >
> > > http://www.ext2fsd.com
> > >
> > > The Ext2fsd installer would need to be on a USB stick that was
> > > partitioned to a file system readable by windows say Fat32
> > >
> > > Regards Bjorn
> > >

> > Thanks for those - been looking for them for ages.
> > It still doesn't get around the window tax thou - even a teeny
> > windows partition would presumably cost whatever the windows tax is.
> >
> > The Windows tax is only applicable if you have Windows. Merely
> > having a small FAT32 partition with the installation files for
> > ext2fsd would incur no charges.
> >
> > Grant
> You seem to be unaware that companies are paying MS for the
> 'privilege' of selling their items with Fat... partitions on them.
> Every preformatted USB stick you buy  - see if you can find one that
> isn't - has an MS tax on it.
> Tom Tom have to pay so their linux satnav can talk to windows.

So how is it that I can create a FAT32 filesystem without hassle under
most Linux systems?  In order to play MP3s or watch DVDs I have to jump
through hoops, but I seem to be able to create Microsoft-owned
filesystems without having to jump through any hoops or pay anybody any
money.

Me = confused

Grant.