Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Grant Sewell wrote:

So how is it that I can create a FAT32 filesystem without hassle under
most Linux systems?  In order to play MP3s or watch DVDs I have to jump
through hoops, but I seem to be able to create Microsoft-owned
filesystems without having to jump through any hoops or pay anybody any
money.

AIUI - FATxxx is so "open" and widely adopted that it's patents aren't that enforcable, but what MS does keep a tight grip on is the extended filename mechanism that's an extension to FAT.. So if you're happy with uppercase 8+3 filenames, then feel free, but if you want nice mixed case long filenames then pay MS...

Of-course IANAL ...

Gordon