Re: [LUG] Humble Bundle 2 - installation of games in tar.gz format

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 00:24 +0000, John wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 22:34 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> >
> > Some of these games are in .deb format so when installing they go
> > somewhere that every user can run them
> >
> > if they are .tar.gz i  extract them to my home folder (or a sub folder
> > of that) this means only I can run them as they are then in a sub folder
> > of my user home directory
> >
> > e,g copy game,tar.gz to say /home/psutton/game
> >
> > cd to that directory, run tar xzvf game.tar.gz
> > or simply right click and extract here.
> >
> > can I copy them somewhere such as /usr/share I think so any user can run
> > them ?
> >
> > then use the menu editor to point at the file you run to play the game.
> >
> > clearly there is a right / wrong way to do things.
>
> Yes you could, I think I would lean towards /opt but that might not be
> the correct location, I'd go with it as its pretty empty, easier to find
> what you want in there and less existing system wide thingies to
> break ;)
>
> Someone else may have a better idea about it though.
AIUI, /opt is for packages not supplied by your distribution.  That's
why, for example, google chrome (as opposed to chromium) installs itself
in there.  In general in debian-style systems that seems to be
interpreted as "anything not managed by apt" - that is, anything that
doesn't come in a .deb.  Either way, it /is/ the right place to put it.
You might want to check on its ownership and permissions - it'll need
others to be able to execute it.  You also may have a little trouble
with an icon for it, but that's not so bad.

Vin