Re: [LUG] Humble Bundle 2 - installation of games in tar.gz format

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 22:34 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Some of these games are in .deb format so when installing they go
> somewhere that every user can run them
>
> if they are .tar.gz i  extract them to my home folder (or a sub folder
> of that) this means only I can run them as they are then in a sub folder
> of my user home directory
>
> e,g copy game,tar.gz to say /home/psutton/game
>
> cd to that directory, run tar xzvf game.tar.gz
> or simply right click and extract here.
>
> can I copy them somewhere such as /usr/share I think so any user can run
> them ?
>
> then use the menu editor to point at the file you run to play the game.
>
> clearly there is a right / wrong way to do things.

Yes you could, I think I would lean towards /opt but that might not be
the correct location, I'd go with it as its pretty empty, easier to find
what you want in there and less existing system wide thingies to
break ;)

Someone else may have a better idea about it though.

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/