Re: [LUG] Moan - Was Re: csv file editor

Thanks Tom

I didn't assume that you were getting at me at all. I think under most
circumstances you are absolutely correct.

Hopefully I'll be able to get to a meet at some point and we can chat it
over, but I'll summarise the workflow I am involved in.

Basically, when a shop floor operator thinks he has a problem, he will
initiate a problem solving exercise by gathering some data on a paper
chart, calculating from the data the way the process should be
operating, and then using excursions from the normal operation as
triggers to initiate problem solving exercises. If he doesn't find any
excursions he would normally drop the charting or reduce the frequency
of sampling and move on to charting something else. This whole exercise
could take as little as one day before he/she moves on to something
else.

All of the above steps will be individual to the specific problem
although based on general principles. There is no way to determine in
advance the type or structure of data required, or where it is to be
collected.

The only electronic method of doing this would be for the operator to
use a spreadsheet but that would be too limited in many cases as it is
difficult to add freehand sketches etc (bearing in mind that this is an
operator led process)

I know that there are companies who collect all the data that they can
imagine might be useful, but they will still miss 90% of the information
that's important. The other problem with the centralised data collection
approach is that it takes the information and the problem solving away
from the shop floor - the result of which is that problems are only
identified when it is too late to trace the root cause.

The use of R, gGobbi, Mondrian etc really comes in when the operators
get stuck, and I would then use some of the data (possibly 20 to 100
data points) they have collected to look for clues as to what is going
on. My main tool for that would be Exploratory Data Analysis using
Interactive Graphics (Mondrian for categorical data and gGobbi for
numeric)

I don't in principle have an attachment to any particular file format,
but gGobbi and Mondrian use character delimited, so I would need to
export as CSV or tab delimited anyway. At the moment I do that from OOo,
but it could be from SQLite I guess - the main thing is that the design
and implementation should be as quick as typing directly into a
spreadsheet. Also there is no structure in the data which would require
it to be anything but flat file.

I guess there is a big difference between a generic situation where you
know in advance what data you want to collect and will be collecting it
for a long time, and a specific situation where you won't know what you
want to collect in advance, or where you want to collect it, and will
probably only need it for a day or so.

To apply electronic data collection to the specific problem solving
situation you would need to perform systems analysis, design build and
test a database, design build and test code to enter and pre-process the
data, install networking and hardware, all of it different for each
problem, with a time-scale of say 10 minutes from identification that
there is a problem to be solved - and usually at 3 a.m. All of this so
the operator can take the data from the screen and chart it on paper
manually so he can make notes on the chart for the maintenance guy to
take with him when he crawls into a confined space wearing breathing
apparatus to look at a hydraulic valve which might be the problem. (I
exaggerate but you get the idea!)

I do genuinely appreciate all the help and ideas though.

Phil