Re: [LUG] Moan - Was Re: csv file editor

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 07:48 +0000, tom wrote:
> On 21/11/10 22:49, Tom Brough wrote:
> > Having said all that it would be really nice to see a good csv / xml
> > editor in open source. Ah if only my programming skills were 100%
> > better than they are now :-(
> >
> > Tom.
> >

> If people would adopt a data centric approach - managing the data they
> are really concerned with and not spreading it around piecemeal in
> 'documents' then there would be no need for a good csv/xml editor.
> As you wrote in the parent post it is really sad, really really sad that
> we even have to contemplate doing these things.
> Tom te tom te tom

Well - in general terms I think you are right, but in this specific
instance, most of the data is collected on paper for very good reasons.

-The original charts are and should be owned by shop floor problem
solvers, who do not have access to computers because the environment is
hot, humid, and full of stray high EMF interference.
-The charts are used for problem solving on the shop floor, and need to
be available to be carried from potential problem to potential problem.
-Operators also need to make notes on the charts, often in the form of
freehand sketches, schematics etc.
-The charts need to be posted in a form where they are always visible
and accessible.

My role is in training the operators and setting up the charts in the
first place. The main reason for getting the data into R/Mondrian/gGobbi
etc. is so I can perform additional analysis.

I'm afraid that one of the first pieces of advice I give when called in
to see why a company is not making improvements as a result of spending
several hundred thousand pounds on shiny new computer equipment, is that
they need to get away from a data-centric approach and focus on problem
solving by doing the work on paper.

Working on paper also means that the problem can often be solved in less
than 5 minutes, instead of the months it would take to perform systems
analysis, requirements definition, capital justification, tender for
hardware, tender for software etc. etc. etc. to solve a single problem
which will often be a different problem when the (by now) obsolete
system is in place.

I'm sure that there are many instances where your "moan" is justified,
but in this instance the people responsible for managing the data need
to be the operators, not the organisation. So managing the data they are
concerned with actually means spreading it around piecemeal.

Phil