Re: [LUG] Software for (personal) project management

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 06:25:15AM +0000, Roland Tarver wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > No, seriously.  IME 90% of people using "project management" tools do
> > so for one reason - to produce pretty Gantt charts for their bosses to
> > admire.  Of the other 10%, 90% of them spend way too much time messing
> > about with it so it reflects "what's really happening" and not enough
> > time doing to bread-and-butter work of managing their projects.  That
> > leaves 1% of people using project management tools who seem to
> > recognise that it's a useful tool, but it is *only* a tool to *aid*
> > management.
>

> I am not sure until I try it, but a Gantt chart may useful at the
> moment. I certainly wont be wasting time I don't have.

Going on from Grant's comment. If you need a Gantt chart, the easiest way to
set one up is to use a spreadsheet: you get all the value in thinking about
dependencies and relative priorities. The only thing you miss is the damn
software constantly updating itself and saying you are late.

(But then the time you save it setting it up can be used to ensure that you
are not late ;) )

Good luck

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.