Re: [LUG] Software for (personal) project management

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 19:48:27 +0000
Roland Tarver wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> At the moment I have many uni projects (essays etc) which each have
> their various milestones and other critical dates and tasks. I need to
> get *very* organised and manage my time well. Can anyone recommend any
> floss project management software please?
>
> I noticed TaskJuggler, but have not installed it. Looks a little over
> kill for what I need (since I am a team of 1 - lol).....
>
> Many thanks
> best wishes
> roly :-)

Pen, paper & calendar...

No, seriously.  IME 90% of people using "project management" tools do
so for one reason - to produce pretty Gantt charts for their bosses to
admire.  Of the other 10%, 90% of them spend way too much time messing
about with it so it reflects "what's really happening" and not enough
time doing to bread-and-butter work of managing their projects.  That
leaves 1% of people using project management tools who seem to
recognise that it's a useful tool, but it is *only* a tool to *aid*
management.

If you are trying to manage your time for Uni more effectively, to-do
lists and calendars, but make *certain* they are somewhere prominent so
that you cannot easily hide from them.

I use Google Calendar and the tasks tool within it, and I have them on
my iGoogle homepage - I spend enough time in a browser, and enough time
searching for something that chances are I will see the calendar and
task list 1000 times per day.  I also have it all synced up to my
phone.  I have made it so I can't really escape from it.

Grant.

(But if you're looking for a tool to produce Gantt charts and manage
resources, etc, then Gnome's Planner (http://live.gnome.org/Planner) is
pretty good IMO.)