Re: [LUG] New PC

Quoting Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

 On 21/10/2010 08:31, John wrote:
After a long, long wait I'm finally getting a new PC. From a single core
athlon 2ghz to an intel quad core 4ghz super monster :]

Anyway, how much chance is there of just taking the OS drive (intel ssd)
out of this machine and slapping it into the other and expecting stuff
to work?
&gt;
I am expecting to remove the current nvidia drivers off this first, and
also comment out the swap from the fstab as its on another drive
currently, oh and comment out the various other hard drives until I move
them over later on (all using UUID's so "should" be painless.

Anything else that might help make things go smoother ?

You're going from an AMD to an Intel.. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of plain sailing. All the motherboard devices will be different to start with, plus what's plugged into them. Linux will hopefully just look at the changes, shrug and carry on, but I wouldn't count on it. Do you have /home mounted separately to the rest of the system?

Julian

Speaking from recent experience should just work. I upgraded my server from a P4 to an AMD system the other day and it just worked. Everything was detected and the machine carried on as normal.

Rob