[LUG] Combining two drives into one

Hi folks,

I've got an interesting one for you...

Basically I have an external USB hard drive which takes multiple drives. It has 2 x 500GB SATA drives giving 1TB. Now the controller in the case has got a broken SATA connector so I can currently only connect one drive.

However, I have a feeling there's some important data on there which needs recovering.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get the data off. If I put one drive in a PC it comes up with the partition table and I can mount it. If I put the other drive in a PC it comes up as blank (presumably because it's not got a partition table on it). I think it must use something like concatenation.

My first thought was to dd one drive, then the other and combine the two image files however I don't have a big enough drive. So I wondered if I might be able to cheat and combine the two devices (in this case sdc and sdd) into a new device (say sde) so I can retrieve anything important off the drives?

Ta,

Rob