Re: [LUG] New PC

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 09:53 +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 21/10/2010 08:31, John wrote:
> > After a long, long wait I'm finally getting a new PC. From a single core
> > athlon 2ghz to an intel quad core 4ghz super monster :]
> >
> > Anyway, how much chance is there of just taking the OS drive (intel ssd)
> > out of this machine and slapping it into the other and expecting stuff
> > to work?
> >
> > I am expecting to remove the current nvidia drivers off this first, and
> > also comment out the swap from the fstab as its on another drive
> > currently, oh and comment out the various other hard drives until I move
> > them over later on (all using UUID's so "should" be painless.
> >
> > Anything else that might help make things go smoother ?
> >
> You're going from an AMD to an Intel.. I wouldn't expect too much in the
> way of plain sailing.  All the motherboard devices will be different to
> start with, plus what's plugged into them.  Linux will hopefully just
> look at the changes, shrug and carry on, but I wouldn't count on it.  Do
> you have /home mounted separately to the rest of the system?

/home is on its own partition, but on the same SSD as the OS, there are
symlinks to things like music, video, data, picture folders to other
larger conventional HD's, I don't foresee a problem with that really.

I will backup /home to one of the other HD's, just a copy with the
archive flag or something to preserve permisions, I did plan on doing
that in the event that things do not go well when plugged into the new
machine and I reinstall, I'd not format ~/ in that event but a backup
makes sense.

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/