Re: [LUG] New PC

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 14:17 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> >  On 21/10/2010 08:31, John wrote:
> >> After a long, long wait I'm finally getting a new PC. From a single core
> >> athlon 2ghz to an intel quad core 4ghz super monster :]
> >>
> >> Anyway, how much chance is there of just taking the OS drive (intel ssd)
> >> out of this machine and slapping it into the other and expecting stuff
> >> to work?
> > &gt;
> >> I am expecting to remove the current nvidia drivers off this first, and
> >> also comment out the swap from the fstab as its on another drive
> >> currently, oh and comment out the various other hard drives until I move
> >> them over later on (all using UUID's so "should" be painless.
> >>
> >> Anything else that might help make things go smoother ?
> >>
> > You're going from an AMD to an Intel.. I wouldn't expect too much in
> > the way of plain sailing.  All the motherboard devices will be
> > different to start with, plus what's plugged into them.  Linux will
> > hopefully just look at the changes, shrug and carry on, but I
> > wouldn't count on it.  Do you have /home mounted separately to the
> > rest of the system?
> >
> > Julian
> >
> > --
> >

> Speaking from recent experience should just work.  I upgraded my
> server from a P4 to an AMD system the other day and it just worked.
> Everything was detected and the machine carried on as normal.

New machine arrived, very, very impressed by it and also by Overclocker
UK's sales/staff/quality/build.

Basically then, I settled for taking a backup of ~/ and then commenting
out the swap (on a different drive) and other drives/partitions mounted
in fstab.  Swapped the OS SSD into the new machine, held my breath and
booted.  First boot to desktop resulted in a locked up keyboard and non
interactive desktop. Reset the machine, tried again and got a fully
working desktop working very smoothly. However after a varying amount of
time it would lockup again.

Faced with trying to find the cause, or simply reinstall /boot and / I
went for the latter, 20 mins later, back up and things went perfectly.
As I checked out the restricted NVidia driver it seems the version
256.xx I was using before didn't have a clue what an NVIdia 460 card
wan, it only supported 450, 465 and 470 from the 400 series.  Its highly
likely if I had either updated it before swapping the drives I would
have had no issue at all, or had uninstalled the NVidia driver before
the swap (which I very nearly did)

End result is that if you are gonna do it, Linux seems to be near
bombproof with a 100% hardware swap to its root install, and that you
should be wary of the graphics driver when doing it, I was just really
unlucky in the support of the driver, I was actually positive that
256.xx was the latest so never checked it :/

As for the machine itself, its incredibly. From the grub menu I would
say much less than 10seconds to a fully loaded desktop (with all my
applications installed again), application loading times... I remember
those, haha ;)

Gimp with extra plugins, many fonts, G'Mic pack.... 2 seconds to load.
Open Office Writer, 1second or less.
Chrome with around 10tabs.. under 1second.

Thanks for those who gave advice, much appreciated.

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/