Re: [LUG] Resolving domain names to local servers

On 11/09/10 19:18, Chris Bunney wrote:

> I found I could
> no longer access the server via a URL. This is a problem since all the
> sites are name based virtual hosts. Googling around leads me to
> believe that this is the normal behaviour, and that my original router
> was an exception in the way it handled the URLs.

I think there are quite a few routers that will direct the outbound
traffic back in, in this fashion. Basically if they are proper routers,
they will spot the outbound packet is destined for an internal IP
address, and route it inwards. But it does mean the traffic hits the
router, rather than staying on the internal network.

However to not rely on the feature as Rob suggests just create a private
view of the DNS with the internal IP address of the server for those
domain.

You can do that with any DNS serving software. BIND 9 is boring and bog
standard but combines recursive and authoritative DNS in one server,
which in this specific case is an advantage (usually it is a really bad
idea, but if you are only serving internal clients it is safe enough to
combine the roles like this).