[LUG] Resolving domain names to local servers

Hello all,

I'd like to pick your brains regarding a dilemma I'm facing.

I have a fairly straight forward home LAN: 4 machines connecting to
the internet via a Belkin wifi router. 1 of the machines is a server
with a number of name based virtual web servers and external requests
to the server are delivered via port forwarding. This set up has
worked fine as long as I've had it going, and in particular, when
connected to the LAN I can access the websites on the server by their
URL.

However, when downloading large amounts of data over wifi, the router
appears to block the machine and prevent it from accessing the
network, forcing me to unplug/replug the router to reset it

As far as I can tell, this is a fault and not a feature (there's
nothing relating to it in the control panel). I'd like to swap it out
for a different router that doesn't have the problem, but when I did
that before (for a different model Belkin I had spare) I found I could
no longer access the server via a URL. This is a problem since all the
sites are name based virtual hosts. Googling around leads me to
believe that this is the normal behaviour, and that my original router
was an exception in the way it handled the URLs.

So my dilemma is this: I can either have access to websites and keep
crawling around under the desk to reset the router, or replace the
router and lose local access to my websites.

What I'd like to ask the list, is what possible solutions are there to
my website access problem? Is there a way I can replace the router and
still have the domain names to resolve to the correct machines whilst
I'm on the LAN?

Ideally the solution would be transparent, so without changing any
settings my laptop would correctly connect to the server whether it is
on the LAN or on a different network accessing it via the internet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Chris