Re: [LUG] Resolving domain names to local servers

On 11/09/10 19:18, Chris Bunney wrote:
earch
What I'd like to ask the list, is what possible solutions are there to
my website access problem? Is there a way I can replace the router and
still have the domain names to resolve to the correct machines whilst
I'm on the LAN?

Ideally the solution would be transparent, so without changing any
settings my laptop would correctly connect to the server whether it is
on the LAN or on a different network accessing it via the internet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Chris

Hi Chris,

This might not be exactly what you're after but what I have is a server running DNSMasq and DHCP (although DNSMasq will do DHCP too). Basically all my machines on my network pickup an IP address from the DHCP server and also look at the server for DNS.

I can add internal machines into the server's hosts file. I've also got it set to search my dyndns domain by default.

So now if I search for server on my local network it will search for server.example.dyndns.org and give out the internal IP address.

If I'm outside my network and I search for server.example.dyndns.org it'll give the IP address my ISP provides.

(Note: I've changed the example dyndns domain names to protect the innocent, and nowadays if you want wildcards on domains to be able to specify a host rather than just the domain you'll need to pay an annual fee).

Hope it helps anyway.

Rob