Re: [LUG] OT: 64bit Flash Player

 On 20/08/2010 22:07, Simon Waters wrote:
On 20/08/10 18:10, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 20/08/2010 17:53, Simon Waters wrote:

Try not to use flash, something like NoScript will mean you only runs
the bits of flash you want to, so less chance of the bugs annoying you.
I would try not to use it, but too many sites these days are Flash heavy
or even worse - Flash only - unfortunately sometime simply boycotting
them is not an option.
It isn't boycotting, I'm suggesting instead of running every application
web designers throw at you, you pick the ones you want. I do it with the
32-bit Adobe plugin using NoScript, life is too short for yet another
browser going slow because the page runs a zillion little applications
only one of which I'm interested in.

Fair point, however I'm referring to Flash content I actually want/need to see. I'm thinking in particular of some websites I use that display their search results in Flash. Yes I know it's not a clever idea, but they're unlikely to change just because one user (me) tells them it is. Also one of my main uses for the PC lately is genealogy and a lot of those websites currently use Flash applets to display documents such as census returns - the idea being they can allow you to zoom in and out etc and can control how you view it. Those kinds of sites I have to use 32bit Firefox for because 64bit doesn't like Flash. However if they redesigned those sites using HTML5 as Tom suggested hopefully that problem would go away. Question though, can you perform a function in HTML5 like 'display document and allow user to zoom in and out and move around it'?

Julian