Re: [LUG] OT: 64bit Flash Player

 On 20/08/2010 22:35, tom brough wrote:
On 20/08/10 21:22, tom wrote:
On 20/08/10 18:10, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 20/08/2010 17:53, Simon Waters wrote:
Julian Hall wrote:
Adobe are dragging their feet over producing a 64bit Flash Player.
4+ years - hey I've not updated software for that long, although if I
had an umpteen billion pound software company paying me it might have
been quicker
Anyone know of a third party alternative browser addon?  I'd prefer
not to have to keep swapping between a 32bit and 64bit browser just
because they can't get their act together.
Gnash - sure it sucks in places. Get the very latest and contribute
back bug reports if you have to.

Try not to use flash, something like NoScript will mean you only runs
the bits of flash you want to, so less chance of the bugs annoying you.

YMMV

  Simon
I would try not to use it, but too many sites these days are Flash
heavy or even worse - Flash only - unfortunately sometime simply
boycotting them is not an option.

Julian
1) there is some work on a Java flashplayer
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/20/flash_in_java/

2) in answer to Julian
I often turn of flashblock to run flash to .... get contact info ..and
almost never any more - another Adobe roadblock on the information highway

Tom te tom te tom
Surely flash is irrelevant with the conception of HTML5?
I agree with that, but since there will be an inevitable time lag until the billions of sites using Flash get re-written (if the web designer / site owner can be bothered that is) we're stuck with Flash for quite a while I fear.

Julian