Re: [LUG] Wifi printer

On 12/08/10 10:35, Neil Winchurst wrote:
My current printer, Epson Stylus Photo 810, is getting old and seems to
be on the way out. I have been searching around for what seems to be a
long time for a replacement. I need some help please.

As we now have three computers at home I am looking for a wifi/ethernet
printer so that we can all use it easily. The two makes I have been
considering are Epson and HP. But there are just so many models and I am
getting totally confused.

If anyone on the list can come up with suggestions and recommendations I
would be very grateful. At the moment I am considering the Epson PX710W.
However that one has six cartridges and they are of course very
expensive. So, any ideas anyone please?

Neil

I guess it depends what you want to print. With 6 cartridges you only have to replace the empty cartridge (compared to some printers which have only got 1 colour cartridge where one colour goes the whole cartridge has to be replaced wasting a load of ink). You can get some printers that will take 4 colour cartridges rather than 6 but the quality isn't as high (although maybe probably fine for what you want).

When I had an Epson printer too (R200) I used compatible cartridges which were significantly cheaper (often about £2 per cartridge compared to about £10 per original cartridge).

As far as choosing a model, I'd look at maybe places like PC World, Comet etc or even online, see what's in your budget (maybe go into the stores and ask for sample print outs) and then do a search on http://www.openprinting.org/printers for the model you're interested in to see if it is compatible.

I've never used a wifi printer on Linux, however I have had a play with one on Windows and a Mac, it was reasonably simple to setup, the printer connected to the wifi network and then the PC and Mac connected to it as if it was a network printer, so I'd guess it would be similar on Linux although don't take my word for it.

Maybe a couple of people on the list might be able to suggest any recent models which do work, I'm afraid I can only suggest a networked black & white laser at the moment which has just stopped being sold (Lexmark X264).

Ta,

Rob