Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, John Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 17:56 +0100, Anthony Williams wrote:

It's impossible for an ISP to provide unlimited data - because BT charge
them for it...

"They get charged" does not equate with "impossible". They could decide
that most people won't use too much, and spread the costs.

Agreed, I've spent the last couple of years on a Demon business package
(BT line) that was truly unlimited and had no traffic shaping. There is
the small issue with that now ending, but it was great for a long time.

It's ending because it's no-longer sustainable.

Essentially the ISPs rely on low-users to effectively subsidise the higher users - it sort of pans out, but obviously it isn't for Demon...

I rather suspect its the new cable and wireless owners settling in and
ending the unlimited part, rather than really anything else. I never
have a hint of slowdown, ever.

That's good - Demon used to be a realtively good lot, but it's just a 'name' now - like Pipex, and a few others...

Gordon