Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 15:27, Shaun Orchard wrote:
On 27 July 2010 08:47, Neil Winchurst<barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Many western European countries do much better than us for their broadband,
it seems. Especially France. Why? Simple, their national phone system is not
run by a private company with shareholders.

Neil

Rose-tinted specs? Possibly.

If you go outside of the towns and cities, the situation is just as
bad, if not worse, than over here.

This thread has brought about a lot of interest. Let me make some comments.

I have done some charity work in Romania. It seems to be a very poor country. Yet looking at the report about the fastest broadband results around the world I find that Romania comes in at no 8 while the UK is at no 35. What the hell is going on?

South Korea. My brother has some good friends in SK. When I was talking to them about their good record with all technology they said that one reason was quite simple. When their government says that some work is to be done to improve something, and that needs some disruption, eg digging up some streets, nobody argues or complains. It just gets done!!

I still think that one of our main problems with all this is having a private company running our national phone network. When something new comes up which could help the country as a whole I suspect that the only question for the BT board is "how would this affect our shareholders?"

Just some of my thoughts on it all

Neil