Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

Quoting Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>:
I still think that one of our main problems with all this is having a
private company running our national phone network. When something new
comes up which could help the country as a whole I suspect that the
only question for the BT board is "how would this affect our
shareholders?"

OK, so I'm a bit late to the party as it were, but I have to agree with the point above and at the same time I have to point out that this is the role of a publicly-traded company. The first duty of any company that has shareholders is to those shareholders, not the customers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending BT here, every time they claim that there's no money for this and then announce huge profits the following month I get v. angry, I'm just pointing out that if I was in the position of their board, I'd have to think of the shareholders first and that proves Neil's point - you can have a national network being run by a public company.

My tuppence,

Matt
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace