Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 16:40 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have done some charity work in Romania. It seems to be a very poor
> country. Yet looking at the report about the fastest broadband results
> around the world I find that Romania comes in at no 8 while the UK is at
> no 35. What the hell is going on?

Exactly, while it might be unreasonable to expect us to be in 1st place,
one has to wonder just how we end up behind so many poorer countries.
Some like Japan and South Korea you can expect to have better
infrastructure due to far denser population and smaller area.

> South Korea. My brother has some good friends in SK. When I was talking
> to them about their good record with all technology they said that one
> reason was quite simple. When their government says that some work is to
> be done to improve something, and that needs some disruption, eg digging
> up some streets, nobody argues or complains. It just gets done!!

Yet here, tell people they can have fibre to the home and there is a
stink about the cabinets on the street being bigger and an eyesore. BT
could put the damned thing in my garden if it meant fibre right into the
house!

> I still think that one of our main problems with all this is having a
> private company running our national phone network. When something new
> comes up which could help the country as a whole I suspect that the only
> question for the BT board is "how would this affect our shareholders?"

Totally agree, the Swedish government chipped in several hundred million
(dollars I think it was) to boost the nations broadband. It sure looks
like that has paid off for them. Anything less than 2mbit there is not
even considered broadband. And before anyone suggests it; due to my
repeated mentions of the country, yes I would love to move to Sweden for
many reasons other than the internet, you are stuck with me though for
now ;)

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides