Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 09:13, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, tom wrote:

On 27/07/10 07:49, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Terry Hill wrote:

People shouldn't be tied down to long contracts. It's a ridiculous system with no benefit whatsoever for the consumer. People should stay because
they like the service, not because they have to.

We're not tied to long contracts. You always have a choice - well, for-now, anyway. You can get a phone line installed on a monthly contract and you can get broadband installed on a monthly contract too. You just need to pick companies that are not BT or TalkTalk (or their subsiduaries)

Gordon

Last time I looked you had to pay a large fee to change over and/or a large monthly amount

Last time YOU looked, YOU had to pay a large fee. I don't.

I don't because I never allowed myself to be signed-up for a long-term contract in the first place. Actually not quite true - when I got my BT line 8.5 years ago there was very little choice at the time, so I had to put up with a 1-year contract on it, however that's long-gone. I pay them quarterly and I'm on a quarterly contract, which I could get down to a monthly one by migrating the line to another provider.

Braodband too - everyone has a choice of over 100 ISPs to choose from, regardless of LLU in their exchange. Some, like BTretail will insist on a 12 month or longer contract, but others (most others) are monthly.

Gordon

I cant find a single provider that will allow me a monthly contract without a setup fee of 3 or 4 * monthly charge. I can find ones without the setup charge but then I'm paying for >8M when I can only get 512k so its not worth it. I would imagine half of rural Devon/Cornwall is in a similar position.
Tom te tom te tom