[ Date Index ]
[ Thread Index ]
[ <= Previous by date /
[ Next by date /
thread => ]
Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds
- To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds
- From: Steven CÃtÃ <steven.cote@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:44:59 +0100
- Delivered-to: dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=tjZo5NE8ZmU2ezwNrwtzDDFfZ9hu2V0jG82ds2DOOXQ=; b=EEwMEB6vXT9PO/LcP7YKYOBLtRX2YoDppjc2n8/UkQqsArUKkuuqHl0OL1Qf0KXaRP 2r2wg8SZu+r0I1y+rlk+5G+48gtfOQS0/PUjz4VrebRllbzpJW8RpPWczjm5mjz5kUvr BFWnTLTiyovjU42txZCILOWbyZG/sIrZzytUk=
I cant find a single provider that will allow me a monthly contract without a setup fee of 3 or 4 * monthly charge.
I can find ones without the setup charge but then I'm paying for >8M when I can only get 512k so its not worth it. I would imagine half of rural Devon/Cornwall is in a similar position.
The only way you'll get a monthly contract and no set-up fee is by going with someone that has their own kit in the cabinet. BT Wholesale charges ISP's a connection fee for every subscriber. I'm not sure how much it is now, but a few years ago it was about Â50. So if the ISP doesn't have you locked into a contract, they'll pass that fee on to you rather than try and recoup it over the course of a year.
The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG