Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 10:11, tom wrote:

I cant find a single provider that will allow me a monthly contract
without a setup fee of 3 or 4 * monthly charge.

http://ukfsn.org/business/internet/adsl/

or...

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/business-broadband.aspx

Migration is generally free these days, you simply need a MAC code from your existing ISP. Give this to your new ISP and they migrate you over (which means you hardly have any down time).

IF you cease the line (that is cancel the broadband so the ISP takes the service off the line) you will have to pay a new activation fee. Some ISPs waive this fee others pass it on to the customer.

I'd say if you're not moving premises or transferring your broadband from one line to another (say you have a second phone line and you want to move your broadband to it) then you'll just need to migrate.

I can find ones without the setup charge but then I'm paying for >8M
when I can only get 512k so its not worth it. I would imagine half of
rural Devon/Cornwall is in a similar position.

You can still get IP Stream Home 250/500/1000/2000 and IP Stream Office 250/500/1000/2000 (256k, 512k, 1MBit and 2Mbit speeds) but it costs more than IP Stream Max / IP Stream Max Premium (up to 8Meg).

£77.16 per year capacity charging for IP Stream Home 250/500/1000/2000
£146.52 per year capacity charging for IP Stream Office 250/500/1000/2000
£77.16 per year capacity charging for IP Stream Max (pretty much the equivalent to Home) £125.16 per year capacity charging for IP Stream Max Premium (pretty much the equivalent to Office)

Link to BT Wholesale Site: http://tinyurl.com/35nleoo

Bear in mind, there is the ISP charges too. Maybe ISPs just think it's more cost effective for them to offer an IP Stream Max/Max Premium service. It provides from 288Kbit/sec all the way up to 8Mbit/sec so it covers most lines that are capable of providing a broadband service.

In fact I'm sure I read that the restrictions on the service are much more relaxed than the fixed IP Stream Home/Office services.

Rob