Re: [LUG] A learning programming project: Was Holsworthy Summary and Sharing Calendars

On 18/07/10 18:20, Chris Bunney wrote:
Hi,

I've been lurking a while and thought I might jump into this topic...

I personally would start by taking the output from outlook's export wizard and inputting it into a program that could convert it into the XML.

Of course that's not a 1-click solution, but it's probably easier than messing around with COM objects. You could always improve it later though.
Welcome!
com objects generally aren't that bad and with a few loops can allow a complete dump of someone's data in a few lines of code. When I last played with COM objects you could actually ask the data type of almost all bit and pieces though some access is a bit wierd. You may be able to do that with the wizard but see XML comment in a mo

My weapon of choice would be Java, since I've done some things involving XML in Java before.
XML is reasonably mature and most languages have libraries that allow easy conversion straight to XML (with checking too if DTD*s are available) so the whole shebang can be exported in one go (1 click if you like) I'm not sure if the missuses old work laptop (w2k) has outlook on it but if anyones up for a play on this one?
Tom