Re: [LUG] how come the list is quiet this week

Rob Beard wrote:

> I was under the impression that IIS was included in Windows although it
> still baffles me why anyone puts enough trust in something like this
> running on Windows.

As commented else where, included with doesn't mean licensed. IIS needs
licences for authenticated users, which seems to be a perverse incentive
not to integrate your application with the ADS service. I wonder if you
do your own authentication if that counts.

> Maybe it's just me but with my experience of Windows Servers and having
> to schedule updates at stupid o'clock (working in radio, scheduling
> playout system server reboots  in a 15 minute window between ads
> playing) was frustrating to say the least, especially when I wasn't
> being paid for it!

Apart from their bizarre ability to "just go wrong" I find Windows
servers infinitely more appealing than Windows Desktop machines. If I
had a choice of which to replace first.....

Sat down on Tuesday to do a simple test of a website in IE8, and two
hours later I was still upgrading software on the box.

Worse it occurred to me in between reboots, that the providers of
Windows software actually have developed perverse incentives not to make
Windows update nicely. They want to run their own updaters so they get
paid to encourage you to have toolbars, and antivirus software you don't
want (and in the later case wouldn't need if the installation process
wasn't so crap).

So even though the Apple Update software is rubbish, and the Java
updater is rubbish, and the Macromedia stuff is rubbish, and Windows
update is structurally sound - I predict none of the other big players
other than Microsoft will use the Windows Update method for keeping
software fresh.

Leads to the weird result that the quick and dirty way to know how upto
date a Windows box is, is to check the Firefox Add-on's window. Which
does a better job than the myriad of vendor installation tools, and is
nearly as good Secunia PSI.

> Still I can see if someone is paying you to connect your systems to 3CX
> then it's got to be worth doing if there is a fair few 3CX installations
> out there.

Thus it was always true, it might make him rich but it won't make him happy.

 Simon