Re: [LUG] Kids failing on coursework because of proprietary file formats

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:06:59 +0100
Rhia Knowles wrote:

> Microsoft did up til Office2007 offer backward (and forward,
> surprisingly) compatibility patches, hidden somewhere in the Office
> updates section (and I mean hidden, you have to know to look for it
> its under the name Office XXXX compatibility pack or similar) Of
> course thats no good if you dont have Office, or the admin rights to
> install them.... but if tutors said that to me I would 1)Inform them
> of its existance 2) go and download aforementioned patch and give it
> to them on a CDR. 3) say "If the IT dept install that for you, you
> will be able to read the document, and thus do your job." (Yeah, I'm
> blunt when I dont think people are being fair. Its gotten me into
> plenty of trouble in the past)
>
> I dunno about ODT though.
>
> Luckily, SDC has Open Office and Office 2007 installed on all college
> machines except the ones in the Common Room which are designed for
> filtered internet cafe style access only (and bloody slow to boot)

City College Plymouth also has OpenOffice installed on pretty much all
computers I've come across so-far.  And my colleagues in the ICT
teaching dept. (I've been told off for not including the C in ICT.
*rolls eyes*) seem quite happy with a lot of Open Source stuff.  We use
GIMP a fair bit and I'm hoping to win 'em over with Kompozer instead of
Dreamweaver. :)

Grant.