Re: [LUG] Kids failing on coursework because of proprietary file formats

Dan Dart wrote:
>> Are you basing this on a desire to hate MS or do you have personal
>> experience with how Office 2010  (note, 2010, not 2007 or 2003)
>> handles OpenDocument files?
>
> I just heard it somewhere. I believe the OOXML specification is pretty
> vague, consisting of tonnes of pages, and ODF is more standard,

IIRC it also contains the likes of "do this in the same way as XYZ
program".

> shorter and concise. Even so, Office (2007 I think) doesn't handle ODF
> well.

There is a Sun (probably now rebranded as Oracle) addon to enable MS
Office to handle ODF files.

Not sure how well this works since I rarely use MS Office, it's not even
installed on most of the machines I regularly use.