Re: [LUG] Kids failing on coursework because of proprietary file formats

On 17/06/10 21:35, Mark Evans wrote:
Dan Dart wrote:
Are you basing this on a desire to hate MS or do you have personal
experience with how Office 2010  (note, 2010, not 2007 or 2003)
handles OpenDocument files?
I just heard it somewhere. I believe the OOXML specification is pretty
vague, consisting of tonnes of pages, and ODF is more standard,
IIRC it also contains the likes of "do this in the same way as XYZ
program".

shorter and concise. Even so, Office (2007 I think) doesn't handle ODF
well.
There is a Sun (probably now rebranded as Oracle) addon to enable MS
Office to handle ODF files.
I think sun realised it might be a costsaver for companies -you only need one version of office to communicate with the primitive OOXML world and the rest of your people can have slightly less primitive OO and started charging for it.
Anyone know of an OpenSource equivalent?
Tom te tom te tom