Re: [LUG] first computer

On 25/06/10 20:59, Guy Backhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 07:35 +0100, richard wrote:
I rather rashly said my six year old son could have a computer for his
next birthday, I thought about a netbook. Does anyone have any ideas ?

For what it is worth I went to Laptops Direct   www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
And paid a little under £250 inc. delivery for an Emachine as a laptop
to convert myself to linux.  Though the first one didn't match their
specified criteria and was sent back this replacement is very
satisfactory as a Grade A1 unit(memory:1.7 GiB. Processor: AMD Athlon
2650e DVD). They do netbooks too.

Guy

That's not a bad price considering what you got.

By the way, I see the company who make Leapfrog toys and games for kids have now released a kids netbook, I think it's called a Leapbook or something. It's a MIPS based machine with a really low spec, 7" screen and *ugh* Windows CE. I think it's being partly marketed as a cheap laptop for kids, but running Windows CE it's a rip off at £179 considering you can pick up an Atom based netbook for around £200.

HMV also sell a similar spec machine for about £130 with Windows CE.

If anything, selling these Windows CE devices is probably going to do more harm to netbooks than Windows did!

Rob