Re: [LUG] Connecting two points 500m apart

El miÃ, 16-06-2010 a las 17:01 +0100, Kai Hendry escribiÃ:
> [...]
>
> It's not quite line of sight (hill rise), but I was hoping to
> experiment with a mast or something.

AFIK you line line of sight, I agree with Gordon.

> [...]
> Lets assume I have 2 dd-wrt flashed WRT54GLs to play with. I need to
> connect them. What antennae do I need exactly? Hopefully two
> directional antennae attached to each will allow good communication. I
> don't want high power since I want to connect the sheevaplug to a car
> battery. As I said I don't know too much about antennae, so be easy on
> me.

You'll need:

 - A device supporting an external antenna
 - A "pigtail" supporting the connector in your device for the external
antenna -- a pigtail is a short special cable to connect the NIC with
the antenna
 - An antenna :) -- I'll go for a sector antenna: it's easier to point
at you objective (remember: line of sight), and with 8db you'll have
enough for 500m

Some time ago I did some 16km links using 14db omni and a 12 grid
antenna. It was fun and, as far as I know, it's not that hard to be in
the legal limit of the 100Mw EIRP.

Cheers,

Juanjo

--