Re: [LUG] Connecting two points 500m apart

On 16 June 2010 16:53, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, directional and high gain antennae is the way to go. Longest Wi-Fi
> link we ran was 6.5 miles from a 12db omni to an 18bd grid antennae. That
> was clear line of sight though, and those antennae were expensive a the
> time. (We also ran a 17.5 mile 10Mb link but that was on posher kit with a
> 2' dish at either end)

I'm interested in antenna and learning what all this "12db",  "omni"
jargon means. :-)

> Is it clear line of sight? If so, then a pair of good Wi-Fi access points
> acting in bridge mode might just work. (And even if you do have line of
> sight, lookup fresnel zone - it'll be a factor at that distance)

It's not quite line of sight (hill rise), but I was hoping to
experiment with a mast or something.

> I'd go back to the Wi-Fi access points in bridge mode. Trouble is, as I
> found out recently, most are over 50 quid when bought without an adsl
> router! And then, what do you do with one that has 2 antennae? Which one do
> you pick to plug the directional antennae into? And then there's the cost of
> the directional antennae to connect to it, and cabling - basically I think

Lets assume I have 2 dd-wrt flashed WRT54GLs to play with. I need to
connect them. What antennae do I need exactly? Hopefully two
directional antennae attached to each will allow good communication. I
don't want high power since I want to connect the sheevaplug to a car
battery. As I said I don't know too much about antennae, so be easy on
me.

Thanks for your input!

p.s. incidentally I'm hoping to set a little weather station (only
have a USB thermometer) and a bluetooth scanning service on the A30.