Re: [LUG] New router security

Julian Hall wrote:
> On 28/05/2010 09:28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Also - be in the same room as the access point when doing the testing
>> - there's no point being in a marginal signal area when you have other
>> uncertianties, and going back to even more basics, see if your access
>> point has a scanner to see which channels are already in-use in your
>> area and pick one well away
> For the XP laptop a good freeware utility is Net Stumbler.
> http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
>
> If you can't get a scanner for Linux this one does the job nicely.
>
> Then as Gordon says test the laptop in the same room and check what
> channels any other WiFi networks use.
>
> Julian

Well, as I wrote in my last email, I remembered that I needed to have
the router aerial at an angle for it to work on the laptop downstairs. I
am referring to my previous router of course. I have now tweaked the
aerial on the new router and am using my own laptop downstairs in the
same room as the XP laptop.

It is working fine, although at the moment there is no encryption on.
One thing at a time. My wife is out, but I will get her to test her
laptop when she returns. Perhaps the aerial tweak was all that was needed.

If that is the case then on to sorting out the encryption problem. This
laptop that I am using is about five years old so it may not support the
most recent WPA-FSK2 set up. As suggested I will try the older version
first.

Incidentally, my new router has a wifi on/off switch on it. So I can
turn off wifi when it is not needed, eg at night, while leaving the
router working for the desktop which is cable linked.

Thanks for all the help so far,

Neil