Re: [LUG] New router security

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Well, I set it up. Now I can't get my laptop to connect at all to the
internet. Then I switched back to no security and it worked again. There
must be something I don't understand. The laptop is running Mint 7 Xfce.
Also my wife's laptop downstairs running XP is not finding anything
yet. It was fine, though a bit slow, with the previous router.

Any suggestions please?

This might sound like a dumb question, but did you type the password
into the laptop too?

What Wi-Fi access software are yuo using on the Laptop? I've only really
experience with wicd, but there are many other network managers...

Gordon

Yes, Wicd Manager. Under advanced settings there is a choice Use Encryption.

If I choose that I get a drop down list which includes only two mentions
of WPA

WPA 1/2 (Preshared Key)
WPA 1/2 (PassPhrase)

They don't mean much to me.

Pass phrase is the one you type in a pass phrase. (it then computes the 63 hex-character password based on it). PSK means you need to type in a 63 hex character password.

If I choose either and try to connect the manager window locks. I have
to close it down.

Very puzzled

Er....

Sounds like somethings wrong... Have you used Wi-Fi on that laptop before? Do you have any other "proper" device to use to test the access point? (Yes, I know, Linux is proper, but let's face it - it's not had the best reputation for working Wi-Fi. I'll always resort to using a mobile phone with Wi-Fi or a Windows box to check a Wi-Fi access point if I can't get my laptop to work).

Of-course my current mobile phone runs linux, but at least the hardware is well understood - getting a decent driver for the multitude of Wi-Fi cards is half the problem...

Gordon