Re: [LUG] New router security

Þann 27.5.2010 17:53, skrifaði Neil Winchurst:
Just replaced a dying router with a new one (Netgear DG834G) and set it
up quite easily with a minor  problem. My ISP was a great help.

Previously I have never bothered about security on the wifi part of the
router. I suppose I ought to make the effort, even in the area where I
live in with mostly non computer users around.

The choices include WAP-PSK2 which has been suggested as a good one. Can
anyone give me any advice please? My laptop is connected by cable to the
router but there are two laptops too. The one running Mint is set up,
but the wife has Windows XP so I hope that will be easy too!!

So, is it worth setting up some security?

Regards

Neil

Absolutely!

Windows XP should support the WPA2-PSK just fine (provided that the card isn't ancient), so I'd say go for that. You should avoid WEP if possible, as it's fairly crackable.

Troy,