Re: [LUG] New router security

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Sounds like somethings wrong... Have you used Wi-Fi on that laptop
> before? Do you have any other "proper" device to use to test the access
> point? (Yes, I know, Linux is proper, but let's face it - it's not had
> the best reputation for working Wi-Fi. I'll always resort to using a
> mobile phone with Wi-Fi or a Windows box to check a Wi-Fi access point
> if I can't get my laptop to work).
>
> Of-course my current mobile phone runs linux, but at least the hardware
> is well understood - getting a decent driver for the multitude of Wi-Fi
> cards is half the problem...
>
> Gordon

Yes, I used wifi on that laptop with my now replaced router. But I had
encryption turned off. Now that I have replaced the router I thought I
ought to try some form of encryption. That is when my troubles started.

If I turn off encryption on the new router that same laptop works fine,
just as it did with the previous router (with no encryption). It will
not connect however with encryption turned on. Turn encryption off again
and it is all fine.

Neil