Re: [LUG] New router security

Ethan Wright wrote:
> Þann 27.5.2010 17:53, skrifaði Neil Winchurst:
>> Just replaced a dying router with a new one (Netgear DG834G) and set it
>> up quite easily with a minor  problem. My ISP was a great help.
>>
>> Previously I have never bothered about security on the wifi part of the
>> router. I suppose I ought to make the effort, even in the area where I
>> live in with mostly non computer users around.
>>
>> The choices include WAP-PSK2 which has been suggested as a good one. Can
>> anyone give me any advice please? My laptop is connected by cable to the
>> router but there are two laptops too. The one running Mint is set up,
>> but the wife has Windows XP so I hope that will be easy too!!
>>
>> So, is it worth setting up some security?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Absolutely!
>
> Windows XP should support the WPA2-PSK just fine (provided that the card
> isn't ancient), so I'd say go for that. You should avoid WEP if
> possible, as it's fairly crackable.
>
> Troy,

Well, I set it up. Now I can't get my laptop to connect at all to the
internet. Then I switched back to no security and it worked again. There
must be something I don't understand. The laptop is running Mint 7 Xfce.
 Also my wife's laptop downstairs running XP is not finding anything
yet. It was fine, though a bit slow, with the previous router.

Any suggestions please?

Neil