Re: [LUG] External USB drive

On 25/05/2010 12:38, Philip Whateley wrote:
> When I have time I'll see if I can replicate it and narrow down to cause
> (or at least whether the problem is Ubuntu, Gnome, or Chromium).

Watch, If this is your external back up on a large USB disc, the
inability to 'read' can cause a lot of problems.

I found this out to my cost so I now always have two back ups, taken at
different times, and shut down computer, if changing users when USBs are
involved or when changing log-in to change between KDE, Gnome, Lxfe etc.

Note: It is not unique to Linux systems. It also applies to MS Windows
XP and Vista, as I have also lost back up visibility to them. I think it
is also a function of  'delayed ' write, and ensuring no writing to USB
when I log off or turn off.

Even when not writing, the computer routinely checking a device exists
at time of log off can seemingly cause this.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald