Re: [LUG] External USB drive

>> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 12:24 +0100, Dan Dart wrote:
>> Have you submitted a bug?
>>
>On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Philip Whateley <philip.whateley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
> Hmm - not sure if I can in this case.
>
> The problem hasn't occurred before, even under (apparently) the same
> circumstances.
>
> When I have time I'll see if I can replicate it and narrow down to cause
> (or at least whether the problem is Ubuntu, Gnome, or Chromium).
>
> I'll be upgrading to 10.04 in a week or so too, so will test it then.
>
> Phil

I think there might be some confusion over how the system works...
certainly I get confused sometimes over how the various pieces fit
together.

I *think* it works along these lines: when HAL detects a new
USB-storage device has been added to the system it tells DBUS about
it.  GVFS (which listens to DBUS) registers that a new device is
present, checks for usable filesystems, if present creates the
required mountpoint and mounts the filesystem on it.

Since GVFS is a Gnome thing, it isn't necessarily going to be running
when the user is in an XFCE or KDE session.

If manually mounting the device works, and the automatic facility
offered by KDE and XFCE also both work, then IMO it is possible that
GVFS is the problem.

Or I could have things completely wrong in my own mind and that the
above is not how things happen at all. :s

Grant.