Re: [LUG] External USB drive

On Tue, 25 May 2010, Eion MacDonald wrote:

Even when not writing, the computer routinely checking a device exists
at time of log off can seemingly cause this.

And people ask me why I never use hotplug/automounter or any other rubbish like that.

For the sake of having to type just one command when I plug something in and another before I unplug it, I eliminate all that bloat and uncertainty and live a happy life.

And in these enlightened days, I don't even have to su to root to mount devices either.

But I guess the occasional corruption and data-loss is a small price to pay for having a pointy clicky desktopy environment where everything "just works" most of the time. Maybe next year will be the year of the Linux Desktop ...

Gordon